Veterinary Medical Association of Bexar County
Member Pages

Home -- Membership FAQ

 What is the VMABC 

The mission of VMABC is to improve animal and human health and to advance the veterinary medical profession.

Why would I join VMABC
As a veterinarian, you get the benefits of being a member of a group of local professionals with common interests and concerns.  VMABC is a not-for-profit association representing hundreds of local veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry academia and uniformed services.  The VMABC acts as a collective voice for its membership and the profession.

What is the VMABC website
It offers the fastest easiest directory of Bexar County and San Antonio veterinarians on the web. Member veterinarians can maintain the data, and the mapping is the best there is. It also offers a job listing service for the Bexar veterinary practices.  This offers a wonderful advertising venue and valuable asset to your business .

Is my information private? Your member information is visible only to other members once they loginwith their password.  Your practice/clinic/hospital information is private or public depending on your needs. Some vets are 'business to business' and don't serve the public directly.

What about advertising?
Yes. VMABC and it's initiatives are always in need of sponsorship, and your advertising is welcome. There are two categories of advertising, one for the public pages, and one that veterinary members will see.

ByLaws of the VMABC
Please click here to the ByLaws page


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can a veterinarian refuse to write a prescription for a client/patient?
A. There is no requirement in Texas law for a veterinarian to write prescriptions. Veterinarians are among the few professionals that maintain their own drug and medication inventories. This does give some clients concern, but we do not have the authority to change the practice. We are aware of the AVMA's Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics that encourages the writing of prescriptions upon request, but these are guidelines only and the Texas Boardof Veterinary Medical Examiners cannot enforce them. Some veterinarians are willing to negotiate prices for medications to compete with lower cost pharmacies.

Q. Do I need a permit to utilize controlled substances?
A. Yes, you do need a permit to utilize controlled substances. The Board has seen an increasing number of licensees who were unaware that they are required to obtain a Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Controlled Substances Registration prior to utilizing controlled substances. Many had confused the requirements with those for a DEA Controlled Substances Registration. These are actually two different registrations and a licensee may be required to have one or both.

Q. How many hours of Continuing Education do I need each year?
A. You need a total of 17 hours of Continuing Education each year. If you attain more than the required 17 hours in a given year, you may carry-over a maximum of 17 hours to be applied toward the following year's requirements. E.g. if you earn 34 hours in calendar year (Jan 1 through Dec 31) 2009. You have enough hours for your 2010 AND your 2011 renewal. However, you must EARN 17 hours during 2011 for your 2012 renewal.Continuing Education requirements at a glance:Out of the 17 required hours to be earned annually, at least 7 must be earned via live seminars and actual attendance. Up to 10 hours may be earned on-line, as long as the on-line venue is: interactive, participatory and monitored, and you are issued a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the participation. You may earn up to 5 hours annually in the correspondence category (see rule 573.64 for definition) and up to 3 hours annually in the self-study category (see rule 573.64 for definition).




Updated Friday, 08th December, 2017

Home  |  About Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Frequently Asked Questions  |  For Members  |  Contact Us